Demons run away from Swans

After a long two week break, the Ontario Australian Football League returned with Round 11 action, pitting the Ottawa Swans against the High Park Demons at the University of Toronto, Scarborough. With the Swans not tasting victory since Round 5, the visitors were sure to put up a fight against the Dees who find themselves in the middle of a log-jammed ladder.


Under dark and threatening skies, the Swans were eager for a physical, wet weather footy match after three solid months of scorching temperatures. With the rain continuing on-and-off throughout the match, Ottawa sprinted ahead early, flowing like a river through the midfield to the likes of ruckman Morgan Whyte, Kyle Graham and Darren Roffey. Dave Martin and recent returnee Mike Kozlowski proved consummate targets downfield and, working together, opened the Swans’ account for the day. The home side was able to match this intensity and slotted their tallies, leveling the scoreboard at the close of the quarter.


Looking to continue their strong play from the first quarter, the Swans called upon Ronan Shaughnessy and Lachie Trumble, both of whom found plenty of the ball in the wet. The duo was superb in their courageous attack and disposed efficiently. The Swans found themselves in tight throughout the quarter against a resurging Toronto side and were only kept within reach by the backline of veterans Jake PLunket-Latimer, Alec Campbell and Mike Beall. At the halftime break, the Demons had pulled ahead, but the contest still undecided.


Coach Marc Magierowicz lauded the effort of the Ottawa men up to this point but was quick to remind the squad that plenty of hard work was left to be done. “In such rainy conditions, the ball and chances are bound to turn every which-way. We had our fair share of unlucky bounces in the first half and with a few more our way, the game could have entirely turned over.”


The Swans came out rejuvenated in the third quarter and again remained on the attack. In his debut, Cameron Dodge, alongside Steve Ladouceur and Jean-Francois Chapman, each battled valiantly in the forward, ultimately resulting in a goal for Chapman. Likewise, longtime veteran Yaser Abou Elenein put in a gutsy performance, willing to sacrifice his body in the contest and continually took contested marks over his taller foes. The game came to a near stonewall, as both teams battled in packs, winning possession for only moments at a time.


In the final stanza, the Swans remained behind but ran out hard for the final 20 minutes of play. In the end, a few too many bounces the wrong way and a number of costly Swan infractions would afford the Dees the opportunity and ran away victors on the day. In very tough conditions for many new players, the team battled hard and has secured a standard to build on in training and the remaining regular season.


The Swans return to the RCR next Saturday, 18th August to take on the Toronto Dingoes.


Ottawa Swans 5.3 (33) defeated by High Park Demons 15.8 (98). 

Best: Y. Abou Elenein, A. Campbell, J. Plunkett-Latimer, D. Martin, J. Goldhawk


 You May Also Like…

26/06/2012 Wildcats claw Swans

26/06/2012 Wildcats claw SwansComing off their first win of the season, the Ottawa Swans Australian Football Club were...

Swans victorious over Eagles

Swans victorious over EaglesAfter four rounds of the Ontario Australian Football League, the Ottawa Swans returned...